Have you ever wondered if you were going to get dinner of clean water tonight? Today I learned about poverty and that if we try we really can help the people who need it. All you need to do is donate a couple dollars or even write them. I found out that The Hunger Games is based off of this. For more on this go to this link.
Now here are the top 5 facts I could find on poverty.
1. At least 80% of humanity lives on less than $10 a day.
2. More than 80 percent of the world’s population lives in countries where income differentials are widening.
3. The poorest 40 percent of the world’s population accounts for 5 percent of global income. The richest 20 percent accounts for three-quarters of world income.
4. According to UNICEF, 22,000 children die each day due to poverty. And they “die quietly in some of the poorest villages on earth, far removed from the scrutiny and the conscience of the world. Being meek and weak in life makes these dying multitudes even more invisible in death.”
5. Around 27-28 percent of all children in developing countries are estimated to be underweight or stunted. The two regions that account for the bulk of the deficit are South Asia and sub-Saharan Africa. If current trends continue, the Millennium Development Goals target of halving the proportion of underweight children will be missed by 30 million children, largely because of slow progress in Southern Asia and sub-Saharan Africa.
To see more categories on week 4 go to
http://studentchallenge.edublogs.org/2012/03/25/week-4-make-it-global/ Remember every penny counts.
here are some links